Home arrow CARE Forum
FireBoard
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:Age Reading Comparisons Software (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Age Reading Comparisons Software
Nikki (Admin)
NWFSC-PSMFC
Admin
graph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Age Reading Comparisons Software 7 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0  
While reading though a paper with the lab last week we discovered something rather interesting. The paper itself was a good read (Age determination of Northeast Arctic cod otoliths through 50 years of history), but what really got us interested was the mention of "age reading comparisons software" used to calculate the precision of agers.

After much e-mailing and hunting around i finally found this 'software' on the European Fish Ageing Network's website. The site was archived some time ago and the program wasn't linked to very intuitively, but i found it!

It's a massive excel spreadsheet, and while it doesn't do exactly what we wanted (replace our way outdated DOS AgeBias program, which now won't work because of security issues), i believe it could be very useful to CARE as a whole. Specifically for interacency age comparisons. This spreadsheet will take numerous readers' ages (the sheet has room for 15 but the instructions say you can have up to 200, wow) and chug them through a whole slew of precision calculations. i haven't had a chance to play with it yet but it looks like it could work well for us!

If you want to check it out its on this page, the third link titled "Guidelines and tools for age reading comparisons". This is a zip file with the excel sheet and a pdf of instructions.

And now i'll wait to see just how many replies of "Oh, we've had that thing for years!" i get.

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
jon (Admin)
Admin
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Age Reading Comparisons Software 7 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 0  
Interesting. I'll have to take a look at it. This year it's my goal to update the AGREE program that Dan Kimura made into a more modern language. It is in VB5 now. AGREE works well for us, but it is customized to our database so it isn't very portable.

- Jon
Sandy (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
I haven't seen the link you mention before, but maybe you'll find my own Excel templates helpful:
http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/fbi/age-prec/

I wrote these so that NEFSC could calculate CV, PA, & bias easily, but I put them online in case other folks might have a use for them. There's no limit on the number of samples you can include.

Hope this helps!

Nikki (Admin)
NWFSC-PSMFC
Admin
graph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Those are great, thanks! i think that will be a big help in ditching our old system.

Go to top Post Reply