Home arrow CARE Forum
FireBoard
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:Microscope / camera recommendations for otoliths (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Microscope / camera recommendations for otoliths
JDM (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Microscope / camera recommendations for otoliths 8 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0  
Are there any recommendations for an affordable microscope/camera setup for capturing images of whole otoliths in distilled water (for counting annual bands)?

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
jon (Admin)
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Microscope / camera recommendations for otoliths 8 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 0  
JDM,

Welcome to the CARE fish ageing forum!

What's your budget? Do you already have a microscope?

The cheapest option would be to get a consumer grade digital SLR camera (we used to use a Nikon Coolpix 990) and get an eyepiece adapter. If you have the money you can get a trinocular head for your microscope and a C-mount for your microscope. The downside to the digital SLR is that you aren't seeing exactly what you get when you take the picture and you have to manually transfer the files from your camera to the computer.

We spent the money and bought microscopy cameras (Leica DFC 420) that connect by firewire to a computer. This option allows you to see on the computer what the image will look like and automatically transfers the image to the computer hard drive.

Surprise surprise the more you spend the easier photography gets and the better the image quality. The first option would cost about $1000 and the second about $5000, not including the cost of the microscope.

Jon

- Jon
Willy (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Microscope / camera recommendations for otoliths 6 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 0  
Jon, what software do you use for image acquisition?

jon (Admin)
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Microscope / camera recommendations for otoliths 6 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 0  
We use LAS primarily. It came with the Leica DFC 420 camera. We also use ImagePro and the native TWAIN driver that also comes with the camera. There are TWAIN drivers that come with virtually all cameras and with it you can capture images into pretty much anything including Photoshop and MS Word.

- Jon
Willy (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Thanks Jon,

We are considering use of Photoshop ... is CS6 Extended the way to go?

WIlly

jon (Admin)
Admin
graphgraph
I have Photoshop Extended but I've never used the additional features in extended. Sounds nice, but I can't say how good it is.

- Jon
Nikki (Admin)
NWFSC-PSMFC
Admin
graph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
I've never used CS6, but i do have a (very old) version of the "full" Photoshop at home. At work we use Adobe Elements to organize/edit our images, and so far i haven't found it lacking. Mostly it's cropping, resizing, adding dots/markers for annuli, adding text, adding a scale bar overlay, and merging images to make one bigger picture. I do a lot of closeups of both halves of a burnt oto to make one picture, or even four individual images of a cross section on older ones. I do all my merging "by hand" with Elements, instead of one of the photo panorama plugins, because i find the ones iv'e used to be lacking.

I think there might be a trial version of Elements you can try, too, to see if it's beefy enough for what you need. From what i understand it'll save you a bit of cash over the "full" Photoshop.

Willy (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Thanks Nikki! We are looking at various options, since we do not have enough in our budget to upgrade our old Image Pro Plus software. I also just learned of "ImageJ" free software from National Institute of Health, looks promising.

Go to top Post Reply