Home arrow CARE Forum
FireBoard
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
need help (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: need help
btlotfi77 (Visitor)
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Birthdate:
need help 10 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 0  
i m a begginer in reding otolith of (Pagellus acarne) sparidae of Algerian coasts and i wonder how can i validate my results??

after reading some articles and books there are annual rings and seasonal ring how to make differences?

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Nikki (Admin)
NWFSC-PSMFC
Admin
graph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:need help 10 Years, 3 Months ago Karma: 0  
The most common way to calibrate your ages is to exchange your samples with someone else who is experienced with the species (or, if no one else ages that species, with someone who is experienced in a similar one) and comparing your ages. Unfortunately nobody in our lab looks at these so i can't be of any help in that arena. A true validation (or as close as we can get, anyway) usually involves bomb radiocarbon studies or tag and recapture studies.

As for "seasonal" vs. "annual" rings: an annual ring usually refers to an entire year's growth. A year's growth consists of two bands. in a break and burn sample, the lighter, wider band is the summer growth and the darker, narrower band is the winter growth. So we count each dark winter growth band to determine our age.

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  

Last Edit: 2009/06/26 17:10 By Nikki.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Go to top Post Reply