Home arrow CARE Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:need help (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:need help
Nikki (Admin)
Posts: 26
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Location: Oregon
Re:need help 12 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 0  
The most common way to calibrate your ages is to exchange your samples with someone else who is experienced with the species (or, if no one else ages that species, with someone who is experienced in a similar one) and comparing your ages. Unfortunately nobody in our lab looks at these so i can't be of any help in that arena. A true validation (or as close as we can get, anyway) usually involves bomb radiocarbon studies or tag and recapture studies.

As for "seasonal" vs. "annual" rings: an annual ring usually refers to an entire year's growth. A year's growth consists of two bands. in a break and burn sample, the lighter, wider band is the summer growth and the darker, narrower band is the winter growth. So we count each dark winter growth band to determine our age.
Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
Last Edit: 2009/06/26 17:10 By Nikki.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
      Topics Author Date
    thread link
need help
btlotfi77 2009/06/24 03:35
    thread link
thread linkthread link Re:need help
nikkia 2009/06/26 17:09
Go to top Post Reply
Powered by FireBoardget the latest posts directly to your desktop

© 2022 Committee of Age Reading Experts (CARE)
Disclaimer & Citation Info