18 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
28.1 K Views
Nikki Paige
(@npaige)
Active Member Admin
Topic starter  

Heyo, I've stepped down as website admin, but I'm still going to be acting as a moderator here on the forums. Basically, if you have a post-or-people problem, I'm your gal, and if you have a general technical issue it's Jamie's preview. ^_^

In the coming weeks I'm going to work on getting all the old conversations from the original site copied and archived here if possible. Those threads won't necessarily be "live" for posting in, but they'll be available to read and reference! 

~Nikki

Nikki Paige
(@nikki)
Illustrious Member Admin

Ooh, can we summon each other? @npaige @nikki just testing it out heh.

ReplyQuote
Nikki Paige
(@nikki)
Illustrious Member Admin

Yes, yes we can. Cool fact, use "@" and then the nickname of the person (shown under your image and user name) and it'll link to them and message them that they've been mentioned!

I think @delsa-anderl is the only non-admin set up at the moment so i'm testing this out on her. Hooray for confusing people! ^_^

ReplyQuote
(@delsa-anderl)

Hey Nikki- where am I supposed to get a notification? I didn't see one. I just happened to check out this new, cool website and saw that you mentioned me.

ReplyQuote
(@delsa-anderl)

I just subscribed to this topic. Maybe I'll get a notice then? Did I include my email address when I signed up? I don't remember.

ReplyQuote
(@delsa-anderl)

Nikki & Jamie- is there a way to compact the real estate on the forum thread? Seems to me there's a lot of white space in between messages and lots of formatting stuff in between. Maybe we can reduce the size of the formatting menu but not the size of the text being shared?

ReplyQuote
(@james-hale)
New Member Admin

@delsa-anderl I'm working on learning more about the options here. It does seem like there is a lot going on visually. You're talking about the gray boxes around each message, right? They're a little too big and full of buttons.

ReplyQuote
Nikki Paige
(@nikki)
Illustrious Member Admin

We might be able to mess about with the margins and such, but much of the information around posts is probably pretty non-negotiable because of the nature of a forum setup. It's never going to be as "clean" if a conversation as a chat thread/Discord style conversation.

ReplyQuote
Nikki Paige
(@nikki)
Illustrious Member Admin

The height of the "box" around each reply has a minimum, dictated by the info on the left (Picture and information of the poster). If you write a really long message it'll get longer to accomidate the text, but if it's just a few lines of text the box will always be longer than the text alone requires. 

That's kind of built in to the nature of a forum; there's information always attached to each message, and buttons and links around the edges. It's like we all have a big corkboard and are each thumbtacking an index card below the comment before us. If you want something that looks more compact, like a text conversation on your phone would, we'd have to go with a program like Slack or Discord. But those are stand alone programs, and i don't believe that they can be incorporated into a website like this forum can.

ReplyQuote
(@delsa-anderl)

@nikki Something's changed?? I'm liking the look of the forum thread now....or have I just gotten used to it? 

Question still: if I subscribe to this thread, should I not be receiving notification after a post?

ReplyQuote
Nikki Paige
(@nikki)
Illustrious Member Admin

@delsa-anderl I haven't changed any settings yet, but don't know if Jamie has or not. Maybe it's just getting more familiar! ^_^

Theoretically you should get email notifications if you subscribe to topics/threads... i have been. But now i wonder if that's because i have a setting toggled in the back end. I DO know if you subscribe to something there will be a little bell icon in the top right of the page that "lights up", and if you click on it it will show you all the new posts you've subscribed to. So it's easier to at least find all the new stuff.

ReplyQuote
(@andrew-chin)
New Member Admin

I've been talking to Jamie on the backend and I think subscribing to a post (along with the other functions) should work now. give it a shot!

ReplyQuote
(@delsa-anderl)

Ok guys- I am subscribed to this thread but I still have not gotten an email notifying me of any new posts that was made on this thread. Did I register my email address? Would one of the administrators please check? Thanks!

Delsa

ReplyQuote
(@delsa-anderl)

I've attached an image. Are you able to open? Did anyone receive notification email of this reply message?

ReplyQuote
(@delsa-anderl)

Looking back at my last message, it's not clear that there is an attachment. How would I know that there is an attachment to a message?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: